When the season changes from the hot Summer times to the cool crisp days of Fall,
sometimes we want something hearty and filling...so Stew seems to fit
that description. Therefore we are presenting our stew...but its not
quite 'traditional' its a keto recipe, but it would work for Paleo too,
if that's your style. I know some of you do not do tomatoes, not sure
what you could sub in for that, maybe some more thickened broth?
Easy Low Carb Keto Beef Stew Recipe
This easy keto beef stew recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep, with a secret ingredient that tastes like potatoes. Low carb beef stew is rich and hearty - without the carbs!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Servings 6 servings
* 2 lb Beef chuck stew meat (cut into 1-inch pieces)
* 1/2 tsp Sea salt
* 1/4 tsp Black pepper
* 2 tbsp Olive oil (divided)
* 1 medium Onion (diced)
* 2 medium Carrots (peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick-circles)
* 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
* 1 tsp Italian seasoning
* 1 lb Celery root (weight peeled & cubed; from ~1.5 lb with peel and stems)
* 6 cups Beef bone broth
* 1 14.5-oz can Diced tomatoes
* 2 medium Bay leaves
1. Season the beef with salt and pepper. (It will be a light amount because the broth will be salty.)
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the beef in a single layer. (Work in batches if you can't get the beef in a single layer on the bottom of the pan.) Sear for about 8-10 minutes total per batch, moving only every few minutes after each side has well browned. Remove the beef and set aside on a plate.
3. Heat another tablespoon of oil in the same dutch oven. Add the onions and carrots. Saute for about 10 minutes, until soft and lightly browned.
4. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Saute for about a minute, until fragrant.
5. Place the beef back into the dutch oven. Add the broth, diced tomatoes, and whole bay leaves. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
6. Bring the beef stew to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45-60 minutes, until beef is tender.
7. Add the celery root. Increase heat to bring to a boil again. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until tender. (TIP: This will be our keto friendly stand-in for potatoes! Add the celery root at this later step so that it doesn’t get too mushy. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get soft, similar to boiling potatoes.)
8. Remove the bay leaves. Adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Serving size: 1 cup
Is Beef Stew Healthy?
Yes, this easy homemade beef stew is healthy! It’s made with beef chuck stew meat, onion, carrots, garlic, celery root, beef bone broth, and diced tomatoes.
So much good stuff and just 11 grams net carbs in this hearty and satisfying low carb beef stew. While that is a bit more carbs than some Keto Soup recipes, it’s not bad for a hearty dinner that feels like a carb lover’s soup!
How To Thicken Beef Stew
This beef stew keto recipe doesn’t need any thickeners! It thickened up really nicely all on its own.
But, if you want it more of the consistency of gravy, you can add some gelatin. Here is how to do that after your keto stew is done cooking:
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle 1 tbsp gelatin over 1/3 cup water and let sit to bloom for 2-3 minutes.
- Ladle 1 cup hot liquid from the soup and whisk into the gelatin mixture until dissolved.
- Stir the gelatin mixture back into the pot of soup.
Can You Make Healthy Beef Stew Ahead?
Yes, you can definitely make this healthy beef stew recipe ahead. Most soups and stews taste even better the day after they have been made and this one is no exception!
Simply let it cool completely, and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Microwave or heat on the stove top until hot, once you’re ready to eat.
Can You Freeze Easy Beef Stew?
Yes, this recipe for keto beef stew freezes very well! Let it cool completely and then place in the freezer in a freezer bag or airtight container.
TIP: If you freeze your low carb stew in a bag, lay it flat in the freezer. Once it’s solid, you can store it vertically for easier access. (If you want to freeze this stew, don't add the celery root, until you are ready to thaw and reheat, or it will be very mushy.)
Let it thaw out overnight in the refrigerator and then heat in the microwave or stove top until hot. Serve!
What To Serve With Keto Beef Stew
beef stew keto recipe is a meal-in-a-bowl, but if you’d like a veggie
or bread side to go along with it, I’ve got you covered!
- Keto Mashed Cauliflower – If you love your healthy beef stew with mashed potatoes, try this mashed cauliflower recipe for a low carb – but just as tasty – alternative.
- Keto Bread– The easiest way to ensure you don’t leave a single drop of low carb beef stew in the bowl! (There is a recipe for this in the archives of our Purrsuit of flavors posts, Here.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Calories: 410 | Fat: 22g | Total Carbs: 14g | Net Carbs: 11g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 36g